This blog is in recess. New contributions will still appear from time to time and new contributors are welcome. Check out orienteering.org.nz and the facebook o scene for your regular online orienteering fix.

Sunday 12 August 2007

2) Input into vision, goals and planning

This is about having athletes taking "ownership". We need this to legitimise the goals we set and strategies we take to achieve them in a small community of amatueur athletes. As an athlete myself I have decided to act proactively to do what I can do to make my and my peers elite careers more focussed and goal orientated. There are also plans to have the wider elite and junior community involved in goal setting/ strategy making for the hp programme, starting at the squads weekend in Taupo 8/9 September.

1 comment:

NZ D-squad said...

I think that too often we kiwis are too modest in our goal setting and dont wish to expose our true goals in fear of being shot down and riddiculed. Some people within the NZ orienteering network have even told people that their goals are too high and non attainable. Who the hell do they think they are? How can an outside identity determine ones own desire and ability to fufill their dreams? Luckily this particular individual was forced to eat his words when members of this years JWOC team blew his opinions out of the water! Cast ones mind back 5years ago and which NZ'er would have thought that Hanny could have won the senior world championship when she was 20years old! I have experienced first hand some of this stupid NZ mentality, and had my own personal goals literally laughed at. I will always strive to achieve my goals, but if i dont, surely i will something pretty awesome along the way. Something that i can be proud of, look back and know ive done good. We need to start aiming high among the stars, or we will forever be playing in the mud of the world orienteering stage.