This blog is in recess. New contributions will still appear from time to time and new contributors are welcome. Check out orienteering.org.nz and the facebook o scene for your regular online orienteering fix.

Thursday 5 February 2009

Robbie

On the Squad PB topic, here's some an email sent through by one of my secret sources... "For Robbie I found:

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1086075/1/index.htm

but didn't see a time for him. Interesting to compare 1972s underfunding with todays funding/selection gripes.

John Robinson 2:15:03.6 Christchurch 01 Dec 1973 (National champ) and John Robinson 25 km 1:20:31 1979 (NZ record)

ps my source now confesses he is unsure of whether any of the above are in fact in reference to the real John Robbie

2 comments:

Darren said...

sounds like JR to me

Unknown said...

Thanks for the reassurance Dazza

HH's feedback from MAPtalk...

That Sports Illustrated story is classic. Of course it is "our" Robbie. My personal favourite:

In the morning I jogged a few miles. Outside the hotel I found Robinson changing shoes. He ran 100 yards down an alley, returned, sat down and began changing shoes again.

"Foot problems?"

"Oh, no. It's just that to get these back into New Zealand without paying twice their value in duty, they have to be used."