This blog is in recess. New contributions will still appear from time to time and new contributors are welcome. Check out orienteering.org.nz and the facebook o scene for your regular online orienteering fix.

Wednesday 11 September 2013

Worst Leg Ever

Sport needs stories as much as literature. Epic failure, underdog successes, black humour. Legends that are remembered for years and passed down through the ages. There was the time that Brent would have won Nationals but misclipped. The time that Shaun Collins was so tired he fell down the stairs. The time that a kiwi won JWOC.

Some things go down in infamy. Now that a safe time has passed, and everyone recognises all that was good and great about National Relays 2013, we can talk about what will go down in history as the "Worst Leg Ever" in NZ orienteering. Take one look.



Take another. Ugly. What a dogs breakfast. What were they thinking...need length, need spectator appeal, need ??. Bollocks! Locate the start area somewhere higher, with views of the rock. Have more butterfly loops in the rocky areas. Keep the orienteering hard and consistent, build the pressure technically rather than aerobically.

This will be a hard effort to beat. Any challengers out there?

6 comments:

Michael said...

Yeah. I distinctly remember thinking I had a chance of catching the field until this leg. OK. So the first runners were finishing before I started along the fine benched walking track that led straight to the control but I still think I could've had them.

Unknown said...

Positive visualisation has tremendous powers...

Steve said...

My problem on this leg was the exact opposite of Michael's. I left the control at the start of the leg about 100m ahead of a particular W16. I glanced back occasionally and her pink tee shirt was always about 100m behind. As the track slowly gained height and steepness I desperately wanted to slow down but my pride wouldn't let me. I reached the control at the end of the leg about 100m ahead of her and was glad to be able to climb into the rocks and have to stop to examine my map.

Tane said...

I think you feel it was the worst leg ever cause it was not only painful at the time but it was painful to see me catch and pass you and get myself back on the tail of the peleton! In my mind it was quite a good leg as it got me back in the game!

Unknown said...

I agree Tane, that occurence may have prejudiced my perception.

Brent said...

That leg sucked.